French Onion Dip
by Chef Kyle Ketchum
A solid onion dip is a crowd-pleasing staple at any party – indoors or out. In this signature recipe by chef Kyle Ketchum, classic French caramelized onions are blended together with sour cream and mayonnaise, with a touch of Worcestershire for a bold dip that will delight your guests all the way down to the bottom of the bowl.
- 3 Vidalia or yellow Spanish onions, julienned
- 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 quart sour cream
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ounces fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 ounce thyme, minced
- 2 ounces chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- salt, to taste
- ground white pepper, to taste
- Preheat a sauté pan on high. Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the onions and sauté on high heat until well caramelized.
- As the onions are caramelizing make sure the pan stays moistened by adding a little more oil when needed. Reduce the heat a bit if you notice the onions are becoming very dry or crispy.
- Once they are beautifully caramelized remove from the heat and spread onto a baking tray to cool. While they are on the tray cooling, sprinkle the onions with a dash of sugar to taste.
- After the onions have cooled, place onto a cutting board and rough chop to a small dice. Make sure you save any juices that may render from cutting the onions.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix with a whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve with a bag of your favorite potato chips.