Stacked Apple Spinach Salad
by Chef Bill Poirier
- 4 small Macintosh apples, cored
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts, halved and toasted
- 3/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion, julienned
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 strips pepper bacon, cooked
- 8 sea scallops, seared
- Thinly slice each apple horizontally into eighth inch pieces, and keep together to retain the apple shape.
- Alternately arrange layers of apple slices and spinach leaves to reform the apple stack, using one whole apple and 1 cup of the spinach per serving.
- Sprinkle each salad with a quarter of the walnuts, blue cheese and onion slices. Then, drizzle the salads with oil and vinegar.
- Garnish each portion with the bacon and scallops, and then season with salt and pepper.