Sicilian Bread Salad
by Chef Jose Duarte
- 1 loaf medium sized Italian bread, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 roasted yellow pepper, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (Sicilian olive oil)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pitted and coarsely chopped Sicilian green olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, leaves only
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the bread, roasted peppers and cherry tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar and oil.
- Add the onion, scallions, olives, oregano and hot red pepper and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the dressing over the bread mixture and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Arrange in four salad plates and serve.