Maple Crème Caramel
by Chef Timothy Willis
- 1 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Set out six 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins. Add one cup of the maple syrup to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Then, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until the syrup reduces by half. Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of the reduced maple syrup into each of the six ramekin. Set aside and allow to cool; the syrup will thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Fill a teakettle with about one quart water and bring to a boil for the water bath.
- Combine the eggs, egg yolks, milk, sugar, brown sugar and the remaining1/4 cup of the maple syrup. Mix the custard very well so that the sugar dissolves completely.
- Spoon about 2/3 cup of custard into each ramekin. Place the ramekins in a baking pan and fill the pan with enough boiling water to come about halfway up the sides of the cups. Cover the entire pan loosely with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until the custard is set. Check to see if the custard is done by inserting a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean.
- Chill the custards thoroughly. When ready to serve, loosen the custard with a small knife and unmold onto a dessert plate. Be sure to serve all the sauce form the bottom of the cup.